Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hoops!

How long has it been since you have twisted, twirled and shimmied a Hula Hoop around your hips?  My first Hula Hoop was turquoise and white and I remember it being so large that it definitely took some practice and serious hip action to keep the hula hoop from falling to the floor!



Hoop Exercising is a recent calorie burning fad.  Just like the perfect push ups and the ab roller, there are many exercise accessories that enter our homes in hopes of trimming and toning without heading to the gym.  The Weighted Hula Hoop is yet another exercise fad that my clients have introduced to me over the last couple of years and have even brought in for me to try!  Upon picking up the 3 pound hoop I thought back to that turquoise hula hoop from my childhood and tried to figure out how I was going to keep this heavy ring going around my hips.  I soon realized that the weighted hula hoop is quite the workout.  Keeping the hoop moving requires quite a bit of bending and twisting.  These hula hoops are not just for our waistlines though.  Using them around your appendages is a challenge too!  If you are going to try a weighted hula hoop, make sure that you choose the right hoop size for your body to avoid a back injury.  Once you have the hoop in hand, place it around the small of your back and with one foot slightly forward just give it a whirl while sending those hips into action to keep it going and going and going and going.  Just wait....you will be burning calories in no time!


Hoop Dancing has been around for many years in the Native American Culture.  Typically, the hoops used in this culture are a little smaller than the standard hula hoop.  However, the challenge is using up to 30 hoops at one time!  These hoops represent the never ending circle of life and dancers move to create shapes of animals and symbols of nature as an active form of story telling.  Interested in watching a Hoop Dance?  Check out one of the Native American Pow Wows in your area.


The picture below is my first attempt at Native American Hoop Dancing!


No comments:

Post a Comment