Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chicago Delights

Chicago has good food.  Hands down.  Every time I head to the Windy City for the weekend I often feel as though I need to be blown home after indulging in so many wonderful eats.  I remember arriving in Chicago for a weekend with friends and enjoying a luxurious dinner at Grand Lux (Chicken Pot Pie if I remember correctly!) breakfast at Orange Julius, dinner at one of the original Pizza-Pie restaurants (similar to the chicken pot pie) and breakfast yet again at an incredible diner.  Yikes!  That was one full weekend.  I do not think that I was able to eat again until mid-week. 

Early on, my trips to Chicago always included a Thai Restaurant.  Anywhere from sitting on the floor of the restaurant with my feet dangling below or amazing Thai takeout.....it was always such a treat to enjoy this authentic food in a big city because the city I reside in did not have very many Thai choices at the time.  Now, I am able to get my Thai fix quite regularly much closer to home so I have moved on to bigger and better tastes when I visit Chicago!

On my most recent Chicago adventure we focused on breakfast.  Having only been to the Grand Lux once before, I was intrigued by the Brunch Menu after reviewing it online. I ordered the Spinach and Mushroom Benedict and upon arrival to my place setting I was reminded of the monstrous portions sizes this restaurant serves.  Needless to say, I could not even begin to finish my meal but the mushrooms were out of this world and the sourdough bread was fantastic.  Unfortunately, I also could not resist the Beignets which are unique to the Grand Lux bakery and need a substantial amount of time for cooking.  I ordered these "to go" but managed to try one (I am not disclosing what "Beignets" are you will have to try them yourself.....and they were still warm!) before heading out. 

Breakfast was also served up at The Publican that weekend.  This restaurant has a very unique dining style.  The booths are head-height and have doors so you can have your own private-ish dining experience.  On the flip side, the remaining seating is family style - so you will be sitting next to strangers while you enjoy your meal!  The restaurant was introduced to me by a friend who is the head chef at a sister restaurant (which we also frequented that weekend).  The atmosphere and the food was fabulous.  Red Wine Poached Eggs - would be my recommendation!

Speaking of Sister Restaurants.  I have also visited the Big Star, Avec and Blackbird.  Each one of these restaurants offers unique dinning choices featuring large plates and small plates as well as specialty beverages.  Although, I am not a restaurant reviewer....I would highly recommend the guacamole (holy "moley" flavorburst!) and the Sunday brunch egg special from Big Star.  Blackbird features a dining room and a room for private parties...where I was able to sample some test menu items!  If you are planning a culinary trip to the Windy City I would highly recommend tastes from any of these amazing restaurants!

Looking for other Chicago restaurant reviews and healthy eats?  Check out a fellow Registered Dietitian's Eat Right Around Chicago blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment