Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year - New You


It's time for resolutions!  Have you made a New Year's resolution?  Typically, I save "resolutions" for my birthday.  By starting the the resolution on my birthday, I avoid getting caught up in all of the new year's hype and tend to focus more on me and what I need to do to improve my wellness.  Whether birthday or calendar year, ideally, we should not need a "new" year to make a commitment to our wellness.  Anytime of the year is a great time to make a change to keep us healthy and happy.  If we rely on the calendar for us to make a change to maintain our health, we are essentially setting ourselves up for failure!  What if you're  not ready to quit smoking or lose weight or cut out all pop in your diet?  Peer pressure of a "new" year may not work.  Only you can make it work.

When you are ready to make a new commitment to your own wellness, remember this:  Change takes time.  Making a change in your lifestyle to improve your wellness will require a substantial commitment. Maybe more than a year!  Maybe less.  Regardless, of how long it may take you to achieve your wellness goals don't give up!  Before you start, I would recommend reading Changing for Good by James O. Prochaska.  This book gives great insight to the research behind the Stages of Change model as well as many real life examples of changing for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment