Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day: Warm Comfort Food

A whole day at home?!  I hardly know what to do with myself!  :)  Since I am snowed in I will dare say that today is a great day for laundry...a little blogging...old home videos...and some cooking!

What's on the menu?

Breakfast:  Ciabatta Bread French Toast
No formal recipe, just three slices of ciabatta bread dipped in a mixture of 1 egg, 2 egg whites with 2 tbsp skim milk.  Then placed in a warm skillet sprayed with non-stick cooing spray.  Once lightly browned on both sides, my french toast was topped with blueberries and a drizzle of homemade pure maple syrup from the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi Indian Tribe.  Looking for a formal recipe?  Liz's French Toast with Warm Berry Compote is packed with flavor.  You will feel like you are eating dessert!

Lunch: Green Beans with Mac and Cheese!  Guilty pleasure.....a little processed cheese....but cottage cheese comes in handy!  This recipe was adapted from http://www.kraftfoods.com/ 

Ingredients:
2 cups macaroni, uncooked
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup skim milk
1/8 tsp pepper
6oz 2% milk Velveeta cheese
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook macaroni in large saucepan as directed on package.  Blend cottage cheese, milk and pepper in blender or with electric mixer until smooth.  Melt Velveeta in saucepan or microwave and then add to cottage cheese mixture.  Mix cheese into cooked macaroni and transfer to a casserole dish.  Sprinkle seasoned breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on top and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Afternoon Snack:  Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins  from Liz's Lemon Bowl Blog.  After indulging this morning for breakfast, I needed to get in my oatmeal for the day and had blueberries to use up so this recipe made the perfect treat!  I was out of plain yogurt and since I am still snowed in I substituted 2 tbps of blended cottage cheese and it worked great.  This is a common substitution I use in any recipe that calls for mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese or yogurt.....by using half or all of the amount specified in the recipe as blended cottage cheese you can pack a protein punch in your recipe while cutting down on the fat grams and maintaining a thicker texture.

Dinner: Hmm....I just heard the snow plow so we might venture out! (Plus...based on my intake so far today I definitely need some more vegetables!) Looking for a homemade meal brought to you? Check out  Liz's Lemon Bowl To Go!  Local to Grand Rapids, Liz Della Croce can provide you with a warm soup to fight the cold blizzard temperatures or a balanced healthy meal for you and your family.  View the Menu here.

No comments:

Post a Comment